What Happens if Perfume Gets in Your Mouth?

|

Emilia got rid of bad breath, smelly armpits, and smelly feet - all in one day! She's shared how she did it in her very affordable, $9-booklet.

If perfume gets in your mouth it can cause a range of symptoms including extreme nausea high body temperature vomiting and diarrhea break out into hives or boils pass out have a seizure experience slurred speech lethargy or lack of energy confusion dizziness and bad breath.

However a Reddit thread the worst that could happen is an upset stomach. Cologne poisoning can occur when someone swallows cologne which can cause abdominal pain anxiety decreased level of consciousness including coma (lack of responsiveness) diarrhea nausea and vomiting dizziness headache trouble walking normally low body temperature low blood sugar and low blood pressure too little or too much urine output and rapid heart rate. It is important to note that perfume poisoning is rare and immediate irreversible damage to health caused by one-time use of perfume or cologne is rare. If a child ingests perfume it is recommended to give them a small carb- or sugar-heavy snack to keep their blood sugar from dropping to a dangerous level and to contact Poison Control immediately to determine if the child has swallowed a dangerous amount.

Can you provide more information about the chemicals in perfumes or colognes that make them potentially harmful when ingested?

Perfumes and colognes contain a variety of chemicals that can be harmful when ingested. Some of the most common toxic chemicals found in perfumes and colognes include:

  1. Benzyl acetate: Known carcinogen which causes eye and lung irritation as well as coughing.
  2. Camphor: Can cause dizziness confusion nausea.
  3. Acetone: Can cause headaches dizziness and nausea.
  4. Ethanol: Can cause headaches dizziness and irritation of the eyes nose and throat.
  5. Limonene: Can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions.
  6. Linalool: Can cause respiratory disturbances and allergic reactions.
  7. Phthalates: Endocrine disruptors that can cause diverse medical conditions.
  8. Styrene: A human carcinogen.
  9. Benzyl salicylate: A skin eye nose and throat irritant.
  10. Butoxyethanol: A skin eye nose and throat irritant.

These chemicals can cause a range of adverse health effects including headaches dizziness nausea respiratory disturbances allergic reactions and even cancer. Fragrance chemicals are also known to be respiratory irritants and sensitizers which can trigger asthma attacks and aggravate sinus conditions.

Phthalates in fragrances are known to disrupt hormones and are linked in animal studies to malformations of the penis as well as adverse effects on the developing testes. Fragrances are also the number one cause of allergic reactions to cosmetics not only to the primary users but also to those who breathe in the chemicals as secondhand users.

To avoid the dangers of toxic perfume chemicals it is recommended to check the labels of products and avoid any product with the ingredient “fragrance” or “perfume” on the label. Look for products that contain recognizable natural ingredients.

What steps can someone take if they accidentally ingest perfume or cologne to minimize potential health risks?

If someone accidentally ingests perfume or cologne they should take the following steps to minimize potential health risks:

  1. Call Poison Control: If the person ingested a large amount of perfume or cologne they should call Poison Control immediately. Poison Control can provide guidance on what to do next and whether medical attention is necessary.
  2. Drink Water: If the person ingested a small amount of perfume or cologne they should drink water to help dilute the chemicals.
  3. Monitor Symptoms: The person should monitor their symptoms closely. Symptoms of perfume or cologne ingestion can include nausea vomiting headache dizziness and difficulty breathing. If the person experiences severe symptoms they should seek medical attention immediately.
  4. Avoid Exposure: To prevent future exposure to fragrances the person should avoid using perfumes or colognes and choose fragrance-free products instead. They should also ask colleagues or family members to be less heavy-handed with perfumes and deodorants. If possible they should consider asking for the voluntary cooperation towards a scent-reduced environment.

It is important to note that immediate irreversible damage to health caused by one-time use of perfume or cologne is rare. However exposure to topical fragrances can trigger allergies skin sensitivities and cause harm over time.

Are there any long-term health effects or complications that can arise from ingesting perfume or cologne even if it’s a one-time occurrence?

There are potential long-term health effects and complications that can arise from ingesting perfume or cologne even if it’s a one-time occurrence. Fragrances contain chemicals that have been linked to chronic health issues including cancer.

Exposure to topical fragrances can trigger allergies skin sensitivities and cause harm over time. Fragrances are highly toxic and commonly contain phthalates which are chemicals that help the scents last longer.

Studies have shown that phthalates can disrupt hormones and are linked in animal studies to malformations of the penis as well as adverse effects on the developing testes. Fragrance chemicals are the number one cause of allergic reactions to cosmetics and many fragrance ingredients are respiratory irritants and sensitizers which can trigger asthma attacks and aggravate sinus conditions.

Ingesting perfume or cologne can cause symptoms such as elevated heart rate which warrant a trip to the emergency room. While immediate irreversible damage to health caused by one-time use of perfume or cologne is rare exposure to fragrances can cause harm over time.